In Whitman's Hand
Walt Whitman's Caution.
|To |tThe States, or any one of
| them, or any city of The|
| States, Resist much, Obey|
|Once unquestioning obedience,|
| once fully enslaved,|
|Once fully enslaved, no nation,|
| race, city, of this earth,|
| ever afterward resumes|
| its liberty.—|
- This manuscript was likely composed in the years immediately preceding the poem's first publication in 1860.
- Editorial note
- "Walt Whitman's Caution" was first published as one of the "Messenger Leaves" in the 1860 edition of Leaves of Grass. The poem was later retitled "To the States."
- The verso of the manuscript leaf is blank.
- Notes written on manuscript
- In top margin, in unknown hand: 35.00
- In bottom margin, in unknown hand:
- Walt Whitman's Caution. | Amherst College Archives and Special Collections.
- Whitman Archive ID